The Prefix WhoIs Project Software
The Prefix WhoIs Project provides a whois-compatible client and server framework for disclosing various up-to-date routing information. Instead of using registrar-originated network information (which is often unspecific or inaccurate), Prefix WhoIs uses the Internet's global routing table as gleaned from a number of routing peers around the world. Other sources of information, such as imported data from ARIN are also supported (a separate agreement with ARIN is required).
- WhoB is a command-line whois client customized for network engineers (also included as part of Layer Four Traceroute (LFT))
- Layer Four Traceroute (LFT) is an advanced path discovery tool whose ASN resolution features rely on Prefix WhoIs. LFT can be downloaded here.
- Prefix WhoIs Milter is a mail filter for Postfix and Sendmail MTAs. It queries Prefix WhoIs about the originating IP address found in the final Received or X-Originating-IP mail headers in incoming e-mails and the information that it returns may be used for greylisting and can be displayed in modern e-mail clients to provide some background as to the origin of the message.
- Prefix WhoIs Widget is a simple MacOS X widget that displays the number of prefixes present within the global Internet routing table and allows the user to submit queries using a familiar Dashboard interface.
- The pWhoIsd server responds to whois-type queries using a variety of output formats including pWhoIs-native, Cymru, and RPSL
- The pWhoIs-updatedb agent parses routing information bases (RIBs) from Internet routers or digests from route-views servers and populates a relational database
Software Development Libraries
Currently, the Prefix WhoIs project distributes vanilla C and PHP libraries for direct access to Prefix WhoIs. Our C library is also used by many developers to access a plethora of other whois registries as it contains many functions to do so.
- C Library for pWhoIs - Full support for pWhoIs in bulk or single queries. Additionally, this library supports many other network-related registrars along with functions to automatically recursively dig until you get the information you're looking for. The most recent copy of the whois library (whois.c & whois.h) may be found in the latest distribution of Layer Four Traceroute.
- PHP Library for pWhoIs - Minimal support for pWhoIs (work in progress). Requires PHP 5.x (sockets related).
- PHP Library for RIPE NCC RISwhois - Reasonable support for resolving prefix and other information from RIPE NCC's RIS (work in progress). Requires PHP 5.x (sockets related).